Bailey Fights Blight is a collaborative project being spearheaded by the Bailey Avenue Business Association that seeks to board up and secure blighted and vacant storefronts along Bailey Avenue, while incorporating public art as a way to beautify the neighborhood and help redevelop the commercial corridor’s identity and sense of place.
READ THE PROJECT PLAN:
Join us for a community brainstorming session on Saturday, June 4, 2016!
There are many ways to get involved with Bailey Fights Blight:
- Saturday, June 4th, Noon – 3PM: Bring ideas for what kind of public art you’d like to see on Bailey Avenue. There will be plenty of ways for you to get creative!
- Saturday, July 9th, Noon – 3PM: We’ll start refining ideas from the previous brainstorming session and work to finalize designs for the Bailey Avenue murals.
COMMUNITY PAINTING & CLEANUP DAYS
- Saturday, July 16th, 10AM – 2PM: Join professional artists, business owners, and community members as we start to paint the designs created through community brainstorming. We’ll also host a neighborhood cleanup for those less artistically inclined!
- Saturday, July 23rd, 10AM – 2PM: We’ll continue to work on the murals along Bailey Avenue and host another cleanup.
- Saturday, July 30th, 10AM – 2PM: We’ll work to finish the murals on Bailey Avenue and host another cleanup.
- Saturday, August 6th @ 10AM: Weed & mulch trees along Bailey Avenue.
- Sunday, August 7th @ 9AM: Finish background color on Stockbridge/Bailey Mural
- Saturday, August 13th @ 9AM: Tape and paint final design of Stockbridge/Bailey Mural
All sessions will meet at the Varsity Theatre located at 3165 Bailey Avenue
Help us fight blight on Bailey Avenue by getting the word out! Do you know someone interested in taking a hands on approach to community development? We’re looking for individuals to help us board and secure blighted buildings along Bailey as well as lending their artist talents to help transform these buildings using public art.
Help us get the word out by sharing our flyer with your friends, family, and neighbors!
(click on the image for a downloadable PDF)
Be sure to link to this page: http://ourheights.org/baileyfightsblight
Partners & Sponsors
Bailey Fights Blight is funded by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature; administered by Arts Service Initiative of Western New York.
PARTNERS: Bailey Avenue Business Association, Buffalo Auto Group, Buffalo Promise Neighborhood, Junior League of Buffalo, Lowes, Imperial Food Market, People Inc., UB Office of Community Relations, University District Community Development Association, University District Councilmember Wyatt, University Heights Collaborative, University District Block Club Coalition, University Heights Tool Library